About Me

Friday, March 14, 2014

2014 Season

    Hello fellow bloggers. Sorry about the lame blog posts lately, I have been patiently waiting for this snow to melt so I can get out and do some riding. Hopefully I can figure out how to get some of my helmet cam footage onto here somehow so you guys can see what it's like to ride. Also, I will try to upload some of my friends' pictures and videos of our riding on here too. Maybe next week I can get some of that stuff up on here, but we'll see.

    Until the spring gets here, I've been spending a lot of time getting my bikes ready. One of the big jobs I'm doing is rebuilding the engine on one of them. Technically I'm not rebuilding the whole thing, just the top part of it. That is a part of regular maintenance for two strokes, which is what I ride. Dirt bikes have either two stroke or four stroke engines. The difference between the two is that the four stroke makes a complete revolution of the engine in four strokes of the piston, the two stroke does it in two. with that being said, two strokes make twice the power. For example, a 250cc four stroke makes about the same power as a 125cc two stroke, which is what I ride. Two strokes are mostly made for racing because the engine makes all its power at full throttle. Four strokes have smooth power throughout the whole engine. What I'm rebuilding is called the top end, which consists of the cylinder, the piston, and the rings that wrap around the piston to scrape the oil off the side walls off the cylinder. All I have to do is replace the piston and rings, but some people decide to get a new cylinder also. Other people do the entire motor. usually, you don't have to rebuild the bottom part of the motor unless something goes wrong with it. So thats basically what Ive been up to. I will post some pics of the disassembled engine when I get it taken apart and I will explain why you have to replace these parts often.

No comments:

Post a Comment